Wednesday AM: M&A Foundations
(with Hagen Rogers)
On Day One, you will begin by learning how strategy and M&A mix. This includes:
- The five different types of M&A
- Building out and strengthening your internal & external M&A team
- Creating an Acquisition Guideline Statement
- Identifying and evaluating a target company
- Successful and creative ways to approach targets to build interest
- Which fumbles and landmines you should be watching for
- Hurdle rates and how M&A should be measured
Goal for the Morning: To learn which type of M&A would best position you for success, advance your competitive position, and maximize shareholder value.
Wednesday PM: Due Diligence
(with Jeffrey Bengtson, Toby Stansell, Myron Radio, Jay Wynn)
You'll move into the heart of deal making and the due diligence best practices that are crucial to success.
- Financial due diligence
- Tax due diligence
- Human Resources due diligence
- Leadership and Cultural due diligence
- Commercial due diligence
- Information Technology (IT) due diligence
- Intellectual Property due diligence
Goal for the Afternoon: To provide a thorough understanding of due diligence best practices.
Thursday AM: Valuation and Synergies
(with Hagen Rogers)
The primary focus of Day Two morning session is to teach you the methodologies involved in valuation and synergies.
- Intrinsic Valuation - Discounted cash flow approach fundamentals
- Conventional misunderstandings and mistakes made in valuation process
- Synergies Valuation methodologies
- Revisions to Valuation for acquisitions
Goal for the Day: Workshop using a case study, strengthen understanding of valuation and synergy best practices to mitigate risks and mistakes.
Thursday PM: The Transaction Phase
(with Hagen Rogers, Diane Dix and Mark Knight)
You will participate in a realistic M&A simulation that will reveal the pressures and challenges of closing a transaction. You will experience firsthand the challenges of collaboration and communications between the various task groups.
- Best practices around key systems of making a deal during a typically tight exclusivity period
- Understanding transactional legal documents
- Planning and executing challenging negotiations with the seller and their counsel
- Deal design objectives
- Working out the terms of the deal
Goal for the Day: To recognize and appreciate all the processes and skills required to thoughtfully close an acquisition which is well-positioned for strategic success and favorable ROI after the close.
Lunch: Understanding the Herrmann Whole Brain Model with Ann Herrmann-Nehdi. The Herrmann Brain Dominance Instrument ® (HBDI®) allows you to become aware of your thinking preferences in order to use them better in your personal and professional life.
Friday: The Integration Phase
(with Scott Whitaker)
The last day takes you through the most difficult and overlooked phase. Underperformance after the deal closes is very common and a key contributor to why M&A goals are not met.
- Defining the integration challenge
- Essentials of integration due diligence
- Essentials of integration governance
- Defining the integration strategy and objectives
- Communications and culture
- Mobilizing the Integration Management Office (IMO)
- Integration work plan overview
- Synergy program management
Goal for the Day: To provide the key drivers and tactics required to create a scalable and repeatable integration playbook and build internal expertise and support for future transactions. Navigate M&A people problems.
Lunch: C-suite panel discussion “Acquirer successes & fumbles – Stories from the deal table”