Monday: M&A Foundations
(with Dr. David Furse and Hagen Rogers)
On Day One, you will begin by learning how strategy and M&A mix. This includes:
- The five different types of M&A,
- How to craft a custom strategy,
- Building out and strengthening your internal & external M&A team,
- Identifying and prioritizing attractive markets for expansion,
- Creating an Acquisition Guideline Statement,
- Identifying and evaluating a target company,
- Successful and creative ways to approach targets to build interest,
- Which fumbles and landmines you should be watching for,
- Hurdle rates and how M&A should be measured.
Goal for the Day: To learn which type of M&A would best position you for success, advance your competitive position, and maximize shareholder value.
Tuesday: Valuation and Synergies
(with Hagen Rogers)
The primary focus of Day Two is to teach you the methodologies involved in valuation and synergies.
- Intrinsic Valuation - Discounted cash flow approach fundamentals,
- Relative Valuation methods
- Other Valuation methods
- Triangulating between Intrinsic, Relative & Asset based Valuation methods
- Conventional misunderstandings and mistakes made in valuation process
- Synergies Valuation methodologies
- Revisions to Valuation for acquisitions
Goal for the Day: Learn through the case study method, and strengthen understanding of valuation and synergy best practices to mitigate risks and mistakes.
Wednesday: Due Diligence
(with Craig Arends, Andrew Finkle, Kim Orsolits, and Myron Radio)
On Day Three, you'll move into the heart of deal making and the due diligence best practices that are crucial to success.
- Financial due diligence
- Tax due diligence
- Human Resources due diligence
- Leadership and Cultural due diligence
- Commercial due diligence
- Information Technology (IT) due diligence
Goal for the Day: To provide a thorough understanding of due diligence best practices and where the mistakes are most often made.
Thursday: The Transaction Phase
(with Hagen Rogers and Wilson Chu)
During Day Four, you will participate in a realistic M&A simulation that will reveal the pressures and challenges of closing a transaction. You will experience first-hand the challenges of collaboration and communications between the various task groups.
- Best practices around key systems of making a deal during a typically tight exclusivity period,
- Understanding transactional legal documents,
- Planning and executing challenging negotiations with the seller and their counsel,
- Deal design objectives,
- Various patterns and trends in forms of payment & financing,
- Working out the terms of the deal.
Goal for the Day: To recognize and appreciate all the processes and skills required to thoughtfully close an acquisition which is well-positioned for strategic success and favorable ROI after the close.
Friday: The Integration Phase
(with Scott Whitaker)
The last day takes you through the most difficult and overlooked phase. Underperformance after the deal closes is very common and a key contributor to why M&A goals are not met.
- Defining the integration challenge,
- Essentials of integration due diligence,
- Essentials of integration governance,
- Defining the integration strategy and objectives,
- Communications and culture,
- Mobilizing the Integration Management Office (IMO)
- Integration work plan overview,
- Synergy program management.
Goal for the Day: To provide the key drivers and tactics required to create a scalable and repeatable integration playbook and build internal expertise and support for future transactions.